May 15, 2024, 06:41:03 am

Author Topic: Training area  (Read 2465 times)

Cutton

• Server Owner
  • Street Rat
    • View Profile
Training area
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:24 pm »
Let's have 2 areas off Prawn Island dedicated to training. Players can access these areas by /c training <sharks/marios>. If they enter the team opposite to theirs, they are not taken there. To exit just do /c exit. They would have to be not accessible by foot so that players from one area don't try and make it to the other area.

We would have to have a 5 second timer to take players there, to avoid death evading by using the cmd.

Alternatively we could have a training area similar to the challenge one. So it would be /c training <id> instead. The problem with the first system is you can get interrupters from your own team. The problem with the second system is that you can only do 1 on 1 training, not group training.

So what do you think? Which system?

Foxtrot

• Server Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Training area
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »
First ofcourse

Again, great idea Charley  ;)

Zegro

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:05 pm »
I have no preference over the system, but one thing I will say is make sure there's something like a price to go to training, or what will happen is the training area will overshadow the normal gameplay if the server is busy

Javi

• Server Admin
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:22 pm »
The first one sounds better, although I don't really get the point of the trainings, can every player use it? Will that warp all the players to the training?  :unsure:

CoLa_z0r

• Server Admin
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:31:23 am »
The first one sounds better, although I don't really get the point of the trainings, can every player use it? Will that warp all the players to the training?  :unsure:
ye wuts the purpose o.o

j.king

• Server Admin
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:36 am »
^ golden question Why?

Thought the whole idea for the server was to bring massive brawls into prawn island

Cutton

• Server Owner
  • Street Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:31:33 am »
Ok perhaps I didn't explain myself enough.

The purpose would be to train newbies. I've had a couple of people ask me to train them how to fight on the server, but there is no area away from attackers that we could successfully do so. It shouldn't draw people away from the main area because in the training areas, there is no possibility of anyone getting killed. This means there is no reward in being there, apart from if you're being trained.

SvM is quite a challenging server for newbies, for the reason that the gameplay style requires quite a bit of practise (mostly stubby/shotgun fights). I think if we wish to keep newbies here, we need to make it accessible for them. Training them simple fight skills is one way to do this. I'm not saying everyone should start training people, I'm just saying that myself and one or two others do it to keep newbies in the game (E.G. Cola, Theking, HeAD) and that we need somewhere in the server away from the madness to safely do it.

Whilst we do limit freedom in a map context in SvM, we have to be careful not to limit gameplay freedom too much. Whilst the main focus is the big brawls on Prawn Island, we have to provide alternatives for those who wish for a bit of variety. This is the point of the challenge command, and this would add to a certain extent to that variety.

Javi

• Server Admin
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:17 pm »
The idea is good but... Well I don't know, don't want people to get on the training areas to run from the other team if they are stronger and hide themselves forever... You know that may cause a permanent non-dm area  :(

CoLa_z0r

• Server Admin
  • Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »
The idea is good but... Well I don't know, don't want people to get on the training areas to run from the other team if they are stronger and hide themselves forever... You know that may cause a permanent non-dm area  :(

Good idea charley, we could sure have that...
and for javi's thought, I think we can have like only the admin allow the person to enter the training arena. Like the player has to do sth like !training and it goes to the online admins and ask for decision and the admin can decide yes or no for it :/

OutlawZ

• Server Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 04:33:35 pm »
How about making that one training area available for both S and M?

since it is squirrel, you can make that training session unscorable... hope you got it.   :coffee:

haha cutton, you havemy +1 k for this idea ;p

# Posts: 72
# Karma: +1/-0
# [applaud] [smite]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:31:08 pm by Zegro »

Tobi

• Server Mod
  • D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »
How about making that one training area available for both S and M?
yeah agree :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:31:51 pm by Zegro »

thanks to Darky for the awesome Siggy xD
Ashley: HEY HOMOZ I POSTED THIS RATHER RELIVENT AND IMPORTANT THREAD LIKE ALMOST 4 DAYS AGO AN I SEE 18 VIEWS BUT ONLY ONE RESPONCE HOW MANY OF U ARE BRICK WALLS BC IT FEELS LIKE IM TALKING TO ONE

Zegro

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »
I honestly just don't see a point, making boundaries dynamic will be a lot more work than I for one see the point to in order to just have a 'training zone'...

the script already is unstable, why push it even more?

Cutton

• Server Owner
  • Street Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:47:12 pm »
We wouldn't have to alter the boundaries, currently they look like this:

We can just choose another roof top. They are like that to allow for the /c challenge 1v1s

Dead_Man

• Server Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »
well... if you dont need to change the boundaries and the idea is pretty good... why not?? just hope it doesnt lag the server even more :S